"One Lump, or Two?"

Friday, May 13, 2016

Coola SPF 30 Matte Setting Spray

   I was randomly creeping on the Tarte Cosmetics Instagram feed and reading comments on a photo of their TarteGuard where a girl mentioned how their company should make an SPF makeup setting spray and another girl replied to her saying that Coola made a product just like that... Well, I'm always looking for a good SPF product and I'm addicted to good setting sprays! So I went by Ulta and picked up the SPF 30 Matte Setting Spray by Coola - who make a wide range of skin protecting products.
   On first impression, I was very attracted to the packaging... The color scheme of the box made me want to be poolside with a drink in my hand and the sun kissing my skin, while also being very informative - mentioning that the bottle is TSA size approved, cruelty free, information about the company, and general ingredients. The bottle itself is very sleek, clean, and attractive but the best part? The cap clicks in place and stays on like a dream, making this a good product for travel.

   The advertising for the Coola Setting Spray promotes their organic ingredients such as cucumber, Aloe Vera, and green tea extracts that help soothe and refresh skin, as well as hyaluronic acid, which is known to lock in moisture and help soften, tone, reduce pore size, and protect against UV rays... This product protects skin with broad spectrum SPF 30, which means it protects against both UVA and UVB sun rays.
   There is a warning on the Ulta website for this product, due to the alcohol within it, to not use this in the presence of a spark, flame, or lit cigarettes... Which was slightly scary to me, seeing how sensitive my skin is... The directions say to shake well, with eyes completely closed (there is an emphasis on completely), hold the bottle ten to twelve inches from your face, and then mist evenly over entire face.

   When it came to using the product, my first impression was basically "oh my Lord, the alcohol"... It was so strong that my eyes and the small cut on my forehead burned, and the air smelled of alcohol... Note: Please remember how sensitive my skin is; I don't want my experiences/reactions to scare you!
   My first test for the Coola Setting Spray was without makeup on a 79 degree day in direct sunlight while I was staining a deck for several hours. There wasn't any sort of scent left of my face, but it did feel heavier like sunscreen... Sort of like when you would spend all day outside in the springtime and can feel the pollen on your face... It did protect my skin from the sun (my shoulders got quite dark whereas my face got a small bit of color), and controlled how oily my face become.   For the second test, which was more humid but only 73 degree day, I wore medium coverage foundation and filled in my brows. I could still feel the weight of the spray on my face, and again there wasn't any scent, but this time my face didn't feel "dirty". Compared to my favorite setting spray, NYX Matte Setting Spray (which keeps my oily skin under control, is lightweight, and locks my makeup into place), it didn't perform as well - in my opinion. I compare this more to the Urban Decay Setting Sprays because they are a bit heavier, and results for keeping makeup in place seem to be all over the place... Which isn't a dis to the Urban Decay sprays, they just simply aren't for everyone.
   My final thoughts about Coola's SPF 30 Matte Setting Spray are simply that it isn't worth $36.00 USD for results that don't surpass the competition much, if at all... It isn't a bad product, and if I could fight through the alcohol causing my skin to react poorly, I would have kept this product around for the summer. Even shaking this product for almost two full minutes didn't lessen the alcohol's potency, so I did debunk that thought... I just prefer to stick with NYX Matte Setting Spray and Shiseido Oil Free Lotion (which lasts me all through spring, summer, and early fall). I do intend on trying out some of Coola's other products, because they do have good reviews, but I give this product in particular a 3/5.
   Let me know if you've had other, positive or not, results with this setting spray - I love learning how products react to different body chemistry!

*This post is in no way sponsored and all opinions are my own.*
xoxo Elle
Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment